Thursday, April 28, 2011

Post #2... Created for Care and Acts 1:8

(if you are joining late... you might want to read my last 2 posts before this one or you might be confused...)

3 weeks after the bike ride and time away, I was supposed to go to the Created for Care retreat. I almost did not go. I went back and forth, tried to give my spot away, and ultimately Shane decided for me to go! Alrighty then! I got to travel with 2 amazing gals, and meet many more. I blogged about it here for more details. But, what I didn't share was something God was doing so intimately in my heart that, at the time, I felt to hold close.
We had a "date with God" experience. It's amazing and if you want to know more about that, click here. During this time, I go by myself (without my friends, but other people are there) to this dark, candle lit room. There were several stations to choose from... and I just prayed "God, show me where you want me to start." I clearly was drawn to the station that had maps and said "ask God to show you what nation to pray for." Africa, specifically Ethiopia, Uganda, and Zambia were on my heart... I sit down and start to pray. Mind you, at this point I've been away from my kids for about 48 hours, and I'm feeling pretty relaxed and "still." It was like God ushered my heart into the gates of heaven... and he truly "taught me how to pray." Now... if you know me, I am NOT charasmatic WHATSOEVER. Nothing against it, I'm just not. But it was like God had just been waiting for me to pour out my heart... and heartbreak... for Africa: the people, the children, the LRA, the missionaries, the child soldiers, the birthmothers, my sweet daughter, the children dying with AIDS/starvation/malaria/... and for the first time, I think my heart broke like my Father's for HIS people. I truly allowed my heart to "go there" and beg God for healing, and for the presence of the Holy Spirit. And, I truly believe God used my prayers that day to change things in someone's life I don't even know.
Next station... I look and it says, "pick up a Bible and ask God to show you a verse." Again, I'm a skeptic.... it's by nature. I immediately say to God "God, you know I'm not real crazy about just picking up the Bible and thinking you are talking to me. BUT, I WANT to hear from you. SO, make it REALLY CLEAR that you are speaking through your word." I pick up the only Bible left... and there is a piece of paper sticking out of it that reads "Acts 1:8". Now, I KNOW what Acts 1:8 says. It says "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

Now, at this point I'm starting to get a little "crazy." Here's why... The Mr. is taking a corse at DTS (seminary) in Biblical Hermaneutics. We have spent the last month pulling apart every preposition and phrase in what verse do you think? That's right... ACTS 1:8!!!!!! What in the WORLD? So then I go, AhHA! Maybe God is trying to tell us something about Acts 1:8 other than schooling! I then truly feel confirmed that at some point, we will be going "to the ends of the earth." BUT WHEN and WHERE?
The thought of this is so exciting, but crazy. And still, at this point, it's YEARS away. YEARS. Afterall, we are SO happy with where we are serving, and God is using us greatly. We LOVE our church, our friends, and are just getting settled into life here in TX. and we LOVE it. YEARS away. YEARS. But, it's amazing that God would confirm our steps. So... at this point, I'm more in love with Jesus than EVER... and you guessed it... there is more to the story.


2 comments:

  1. i love this part of the story! i'm reading along as if i don't already know how it pans out... just because it's so good and God is all over it! (o;

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am on the edge of my seat, can't wait for another post! The stories God writes are so exciting!!! I am soooo excited about what God is doing in and through your family. It's cool to think about all that God was doing in our hearts that weekend in Georgia. Please let us know how we can be praying!

    ReplyDelete